STUDENT TRAVEL GRANTS
Approximately 15 to 30 student travel grants are anticipated in the amount of $500-$1000 each, sponsored by IEEE's Communications Society, for attending the IEEE International Conference of Communications (ICC 2011) to be held in Kyoto, Japan, 5 - 9 June. 2011. Proceeds from these grants can be applied towards airfare and hotel expenses to attend ICC 2011. Awardees are expected to make their own travel arrangements.
- The funding will be used for student travel-related support only. Only (co-)authors of accepted papers can apply for a student travel grant. All student travel awardees are required to register for the conference.
- Recipients of travel grants sponsored by the IEEE Communications Society may have any nationality but must meet all of the following requirements: be an author of an accepted conference paper and present the paper at the conference, be a Student Member of the IEEE Communications Society when submitting the application, be a full-time student registered toward a Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. degree in engineering or related field in a college or university when submitting the application, must not have received an STG in the last 12-month period, and must not receive funding for attending the conference from other sources.
- A committee consisting of Tomohiro Ishihara (Chair) and further STG committee members will evaluate the applicants and select the travel grant recipients.
An application for a travel award will consist of the student's vita, a letter from the student, and a letter from the student's adviser. Applications can be submitted through the EDAS conference management system (log in or register at EDAS http://edas.info and click on the Travel grants tab. The letter from the student should include:
- A brief summary of research interests and accomplishments to date
- A description of areas reflected in the ICC 2011 program that would impact the student's research
- Why the conference attendance is important to the student
In addition, the student's adviser should send a letter of recommendation to the committee that includes:
- Confirmation that the student is a Ph.D., Master, or Bachelor candidate in good standing
- The suitability of the ICC 2011 program material to the student's research area
- Ways this particular student would benefit from attendance at the conference
- The strengths and potential contributions of the student
- Availability of funds from other sources, particularly the adviser, the student, and/or the student's institute is required to pay for the student's conference registration fee
- Application submission: Friday, February 11, 2011
- All reference letters and documents uploaded: Friday, February 18, 2011
- Decisions/notification: Friday, February 25, 2011
- Acceptance by the recipient: Friday, March 4, 2011 (Conference registration must be completed)
- The student applying for a travel grant should log into his/her EDAS account on http://edas.info
- Select tab "Travel grants"
- Select the "ICC 2011"
- Specify the recommender's email address or EDAS ID
- In order to upload attachments (recommendation letters etc.), please log into EDAS, select the tab Travel grants and scroll down to the section "Attachments" in your application, pick the "upload attachments" icon, enter a description and filename, and hit button "Upload attachment". Note: Very large attachments may cause problems. Prospective recipients of a student travel grant are expected to be able to produce compressed PDF documents that do not exceed site restrictions. See Google for details.
Once the application has been completed:
- The student receives email from EDAS indicating their application has been completed.
- The recommender receives an email asking for a recommendation.
- The student receives an email once his recommender finishes the recommendation step or refuses to do so. Students are asked to check, if the recommender they have specified enters his recommendation before expiration of the respective deadline (see above). The Student Travel Grant Committee can not handle incomplete applications and will thus discard all applications with missing documents. Students are asked to agree with their recommenders before filling out the application.
- When the STG jury has completed all grants, the STG chair sends out a notification to all STG student applicants via EDAS.
Important Notice to ICC2011 STG applicants
At this moment there is a problem in the EDAS. you may not be able to upload the documents through the EDAS.
If you have not finish the document upload yet, please read the below. If you've already finished, you have to nothing to do.
Firstly, try to upload the documents through the EDAS. If you cannot do, follow the instructions below.
Send "application documents" to the STG chair through e-mail.
The e-mail must be sent from the applicant.
Send "recommendation letter" to the STG chair through e-mail.
This e-mail must be sent from the recommender, NOT FROM APPLICANT.
Applicant's name and affiliation must be appear in the letter.
(This deadline extension is apply to documents upload only. No new application submission is allowed.)